– 2 Cor 1:3-11 (NLT)
“3 All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort.
– God is our merciful Father and that is why He wants to comfort us
– God is the source of all our comfort, even when our friends comfort us, God is using their willing hearts to comfort us
4 He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.
– There is no need for comfort if we do not have troubles
– We are comforted by God so that we can offer comfort to those in need. We need to offer comfort to non-Christians who do not know God. We also need to offer comfort to Christians who are far away from God.
– We can only comfort others when we ourselves have been comforted by God.
5 For the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ. 6 Even when we are weighed down with troubles, it is for your comfort and salvation! For when we ourselves are comforted, we will certainly comfort you. Then you can patiently endure the same things we suffer. 7 We are confident that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in the comfort God gives us.
– When we go through more troubles and suffering, God will shower on us even more comfort. He will not allow us to go through something we are not able to bear.
– When we comfort others, they will be able to go through sufferings like we did.
– Our sufferings and troubles are not unique. Everybody goes through suffering and troubles like we do.
8 We think you ought to know, dear brothers and sisters, about the trouble we went through in the province of Asia. We were crushed and overwhelmed beyond our ability to endure, and we thought we would never live through it. 9 In fact, we expected to die. But as a result, we stopped relying on ourselves and learned to rely only on God, who raises the dead. 10 And he did rescue us from mortal danger, and he will rescue us again. We have placed our confidence in him, and he will continue to rescue us. 11 And you are helping us by praying for us. Then many people will give thanks because God has graciously answered so many prayers for our safety.”
– Relying on God and depending on Him is the way through all troubles and suffering. Our faith will grow once we start to place our confidence in Him and seeing Him come through in our circumstances.
– 2 Cor 1:3-11 (NLT)